They day finally came for Olympia's birthday. Which meant a few things: I was going to introduce Kris to my mom's side of the family and Christina was going to break the news that she's been in a relationship with a Swedish boy. They decide to drive seperatly but meet up before walking into her moms house.
Kris and I get to the front door step. Christina's mom and dad live about twenty minutes away from the city. We stand there. I go to knock of the door but Kris's hand stops my hand. "Are you sure this is a good idea?"
"I'm posistive."
"Will they like me?"
"Of course."
"Promise?"
"Yes. Why are you so worried?"
"Because I love you Ella, I want you're family to like me."
"Awe baby I love you too!"
Oh Jonny would hate to hear those words.
We walk in and find my mom and Christinas mom slaving away at the kitchen. They both look up and smile. "So this is the hockey player you've been gushing about!" My mom yells, hugging Kris. I don't need to ask were my brother was, because he came running in. Kris turns around and bends down to his level. "So, you must be the coolest nine year old to hit a baseball!"
"Yeah, but I kind of suck."
"Here, you got a bat?"
"Yeah."
"I'm no good at baseball, but I got eye cordination, so I can try to help you."
"Really?"
"Yeah, Ella, you mind?"
"Go ahead," I smile.
"Come on Alfonso, lets go outside!"
"YOUR THE COOLEST BOYFRIEND MY SISTER EVER HAD!"
I watch the two go outside as I walk to the window. People start coming over and my aunt comes to stand next to me. She's smiling. "He seems like a good guy," she says, watching Kris trying to help Alfonso hold a baseball bat.
"I like him alot."
"What time is Christina coming with Nik?"
"No idea?"
"Is he even Greek?"
"I haven't met him," I lied.
"I hope so. We need greeks in this family."
"I think---"
The door swings open. Kris and Alfonso come inside. "I'm going to help you hit baseballs Fonso!" Kris tells him as he stops when he sees Nik. The silence is killing everyone. I'm hoping Alfonso doesn't say anything.
"MOM LOOK! ITS NIKLAS HJARLMARSSON!"
Alfonso I can kill you.
"Christina...you're boyfriend---"
"Is a swedish man? Yes mom, I know. And I'm proud to say he's not greek!"
"Christina, how could you?"
"Mom, shut the fuck up. I've been secretly seeing him since August and I'm okay that hes Swedish."
"Get out of my house."
"I'm 20 years old mom. I'm technically an adult."
"An adult that's acting like a five year old. You can't see him."
"Oh, but Ella can see a man who isn't Italian?"
"Hey, don't throw me under the bus!"
"Christina you can't see him anymore."
"I can see whoever I want."
"No. He's not Greek."
"I don't care."
"Christina you can't see him and that's that."
"BUT MOM I LOVE HIM!"
The kitchen goes quiet. I look at Kris as he looks at Nik, who looks embaressed to the fact that he's not Greek. Kris decides to break the silence. "How about we baptize Nik? That way he becomes Greek?"
"I think it's best if I leave," Nik says.
"Please do."
"Nik wait!" Christina shouts, following him outside.
I look at Kris who looks at the floor. We hear a car door slam and then Christina storming in, grabbing her car keys and looking at her mom in the eyes. Christina is going to say something she regrets.
"I HOPE YOUR HAPPY! HE JUST BROKE UP WITH ME!"
"Good, you can marry a Greek now."
"I WILL NEVER SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN!"
"Christina, don't be so harsh."
"FUCK YOU MOM! I HATE YOU! Ella, I'll call you when I get back to school."
I hear Christinas car door slam and her speeding off. Everyone turns and looks directly at me. My aunt comes to my face. "ELLA! DO SOMETHING! GO AFTER HER!" She commands me. I shake my head. Finally, I say,
"No. This isn't my battle, but I will say this. Christina's at the age were she needs to make her own decisions. She's inlove with Nik. This is your battle with her, not mine. If you want your daughter in your life, let her make her own decisions, but she's inlove with Nik, even if he's not Greek. Except it."
And that was that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

aw yay ella! i love nik, they need to get over it! great posts tonight!
ReplyDelete