Saturday October 9, 2010
Blackhawks vs Red Wings
United Center. Chicago, IL
I walk into the locker room with an eight month pregnant Stephanie. The doctor said that she was doing excellent and that the baby was in healthy condition. Quenville called up an extra player incase Stephanie was going to go into labor sometime soon so Patrick could go to the hospital. It was the first home game and we were playing Detroit. I walk over to Kanner with her and sit next to Patrick Sharp. "How are you feeling today?" he asks me as his wife sits next me.
"Just fucken peachy," I murmur. "Please kick some ass tonight."
"Just for you and everyone else."
"Girls we should get to our seats."
We watch the team walk out for warm up. Jonnys the last one out. I grab his arm as the girls leave too. He turns to look at me. A small smile forms to his face as I kiss his cheek. "Good luck," I say as his gives me a tiny hug. "Friends again?" I ask him.
"Definatly," he smiles as he walks away.
The third period is under way. We're leading 2-1 with two goals in the second by Nik and Patrick Sharp. I'm more worried about Stephanie than the game. A weird look forms to her face as she excuses herself to go to the bathroom. Ally looks at her. "Did you wet your pants and why are you....OH MY GOD YOUR WATER BROKE!" Ally yells really loud. I shoot up with Christina as Stephanie grabs her stomach. "ARE YOU OKAY!?" Allys yelling.
"CONTRACTIONS!" She yells as I time the contraction.
"Ten seconds," I tell them, throwing my car keys. "GET HER TO THE HOSPITAL!"
"What about you!?" Christina yells at me.
"I'm gonna get Patrick off the ice! Go!"
I run down to the glass and begin banging on the glass. People were looking as a ref saw me banging on the glass. "STOP THE GAME! STOP THE GAME!" I'm yelling but hes shaking his head no. Was he really going to start this with me? "STOP THE DAMN GAME!" That's when Duncan saw me banging on the glass. He knew what was up. He then pulled a hook on a Red Wing and a time out was called. Kanner saw me yelling, along with Coach Quenville.
"Kanner go change! You're daughters going to be born tonight. Ella, go to the locker room!"
LOYOLA MEDIAL CENTER
MAYWOOD, ILLINOIS
"LETS ALL CONGRATULATE PATRICK KANE, AS HE BECOMES A FATHER TONIGHT!" Our announcer yells as I run to the locker room behind Kanner. We hear the cheers and stomping as he throws his stuff in his bag. He then begins to put his clothes on. I look at him weirdly. He looks at me back. "Dude, are you not going to shower?" I ask him.
"It's either shower and miss my daughter make her entrance to the world, or not shower and see my daughter for the first time. I chose to have her first meet me while I'm drenched in swet."
"Fair enough lets go."
Patrick speeds to Loyola Medical center and we run into the room. Ally and Christina are telling Stephanie to breathe while we run in there. "The whole team is on their way, we won," Kanner tells the two as they wait for them in the waiting room. Patrick grabs her hand as she feels another contraction. A Doctor comes in. "You must be Patrick. I'm Doctor Hillis, I'll be delivering your baby tonight. Stephanie you're ready for an epidural," she tells Stephanie.
I excuse myself and go to the waiting room to see the whole team and their wives and girlfriends there. Troy is the first to speak. "How is she?" He asks me as I tell them she needs an epidural. I excuse myself and decide to go get a coffee. I push the elevator door but it doesn't close. Jonny sneaks his way through. This was going to be loads of fun. The elevator door closes and I don't say anything to Jonny. "You okay?" he asks me.
"I suppose," I reply.
"Liar. You know, your a terrible liar Ella."
The door opens and I walk into the cafe with him stomping behind me. I had a feeling I wasn't going to be getting my coffee. "Ella, you can't avoid me forever," he yells. I stop walking and turn to face him. Did he really have the nerve to say that to me?
"I understand we are bonded forever because of this child, but we are not getting back together."
"I love you Ella, why can't you accept it?"
"I cannot love you Jon?"
"And why not?"
"Because I can't okay!"
"And were back to round three..."
My phone goes off its. Kanner texted me. I look at Jon. I knew for a fact coffee wasn't an option now. "Elevator now," I snap at Jon as he follows me.
"Why?"
To: Ella cell
Come up to room 213 on the second floor. Your god daughter is going to want to meet you now.
--Patrick--
We hold off on the pushing as we wait for Ella and Jonny to get their asses down to the room. I look at Stephanie, who's hand I grab as they position her to get ready to push. I look at her and a tear rolls down my cheeck. "Baby why are you crying?" she asks me as I kiss her lips.
"I'm happy, that's all."
"Alright lets start the pushing," I hear Ella say.
"Alright Stephanie push!" The doctor says as Stephanie's face turns purple. She's pushing hard but Doctor Hillis tells her to stop. She catches her breath. I look at Jonny as I catch him grab Ella's hand. Her facial expression doesn't change but I can tell she's half mad half not mad. "Alright Stephanie push," the Doctor tells her again as she counts to ten. Stephanie stops after ten and breathes.
"You're doing great baby you can do it," I tell her as she squeezes my hand.
"Steph, if you push really hard, we can get the baby out on the next push okay? Now push."
We're all cheering for Steph as she's turning purple again. I then hear it, the prettiest sound ever. A baby cry. The doctor holds the baby and has me cut the ambilicol chord. She then takes the baby and checks on it and wraps the baby up. "Meet you're daughter," she says, handing her to Stephanie. Stephanie's looking at her as I sit on the bed next to her. My daughter is the spitting image of Stephanie. I look at Stephanie now as she says to me, "Pick a name Patrick." I look at the baby and a smile comes to my face as the following words come out as I take my baby,
"Hi Sophia Lauren Kane, I'm you're daddy. I've waited nine long months to meet you, and now you're here! I know I just met you but I know I love you so so much."
And then, I kiss her forhead and then Stephanies forehead. We were a family now, we were a family. Sophia made us stronger. "I love you both. We're a family now, and damn, am I happy about that!"


awwwwwwww!!!!! best chapter, so cute.
ReplyDelete